Thursday, May 20, 2010

A LETTER TO MY MOTHER

Dear Mom:

Thank you for giving me life. You took care of yourself, and were glad that I was going to join you in this world. Thanks for holding me close to you, and nurturing me. Thanks for helping me, through all my illnesses, and making sure my jeans were clean. Thanks Mom, for feeding me good food and teaching me how to read. I still remember our walks, and the things you showed me. Thank you for taking me to the Library, and telling me that "I could go anywhere in my mind, for free, as long as I had a magical Library card."

Thanks Mom for never saying anything derogatory about my father. You endured his alcoholism and bad behavior, without ever assasinating his character. Thank you for taking me to church every Sunday, and saving all you pennies, so I could attend the best of schools.

I hope you forgive me for the lies I told you. You know, when I'd ask for an extra $20 for books, and instead blow it on beer or reefer when I was in college. I'm sure sorry for that now. I'm glad that in spite of all my bad behavior, I was a good son, most of the time. I cut our grass, washed our windows, and painted our gutters. I'm glad I put that new kitchen floor in for you, and re-plastered the living-room ceiling.

You always showed me the value of hard work. Thanks for working 'til you were 67 years old. You were such a dynamo, I never thought you would get old and ill. You took care of yourself, and had good health until you were 94. You were an amazing woman. Thank you, for putting up with my impatience, when you were elderly. I'm glad I took you into my home and cared for you in the last 5 years of your life. You never complained about your aches and pains. I am grateful, mom, that you got to see me sober for the last 3 years of your life.

I am proud that I gave you this little gift of sobriety. You always deserved more than I gave you, yet you never complained. You always boosted me up, and said you were proud of me. When I look at the whole picture of our lives together, I am relieved that I wasn't the worst of sons. I am glad that I held you in my arms and talked to you on your death bed. I'll never forget the light in your pretty eyes, right before you died. I've been meaning to write to you for a long time Mom, but you know how busy I am. Dear Mom, most of all, I want you to know how much I miss you. I think about you every day. I still love you!

Your son, Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment